First Team



North Ferriby United

Sat 5 Aug 2017 | National League North | Home


Tamside Stadium




Paul Brown




Curzon got off to a great start when in the first two minutes of the game Joe Guest trying to latch onto a cross field ball was barged off the ball on the edge of the box which resulted in a free kick. Max Leonard stepped up and drilled a low shot past the wall into the bottom right hand corner to give Curzon the lead on 3 minutes. 



Four minutes later another cross field ball to find Niall Cummins in the left channel was laid off to Guest who was having a great start to the game, he found Leonard just inside the box, Leonard then nipped past his defender and slipped the ball underneath Ross Durrant in the United goal to give Curzon a dream start.



It was on the 16th minute before United had a half decent effort on the Curzon goal which came from Alberto Seidi when he received the ball on the edge of the Curzon box, but his curling effort sailed high over the crossbar.



On 22 minutes Curzon gave away a dangerous free kick after Jonathon Hunt brought down Callum Rzonca, the free kick in a similar place to Curzon’s free kick for their goal was taken by United’s captain Steve Brogan but he could only hit the wall with his first effort then hit it high over the crossbar with his second effort.  



But United looked to have settled after their bad start and started having some good possession.



Rzonca had United’s best chance to pull a goal back on 26 minutes when good work from Joel Ambalu presented Rzonca with a chance from the 18 yard box but his effort went inches over the bar causing Curzon’s keeper Cameron Mason to worry.



With 30 minutes gone United were doing all the running and poor defending by Curzon’s Danny Shaw allowed Danny Emerton a chance but he rolled his shot across the front of goal and away from danger.



On the stroke of half time James Baillie put in a great cross from the left after Guest was brought down for a free kick, Cummins diving in at the back post just fails to connect to the ball.



In added time Rzonca hit a powerful low drive from outside the box which Mason did well to get down to and keep hold of to allow Curzon to go in at half time with a two goal cushion.



In the second half Ferriby made a change as Curtis Bateson replaced the lively Rzonca but it was Curzon who made the better start.  Awarded a free kick on the 47th minute, Steve Howson effort eluded everyone including the keeper, Durrant who came out for the cross.  Curzon then forced two corners in succession but could not find a third goal.



On 53 minutes Curzon got their third goal after a great reverse pass by Guest as he found Cummins inside the United’s box and Cummins dispatched his shot to Durrant’s right hand corner.



Despite the score line, Ferriby continued to push forward and created half efforts from Seidi and Bateson 



On 66 minutes and Leonard hit a strike on the half volley just inside the box which forced Durrant into a great save to stop Curzon going further ahead.



At the other end Bobby Johnson hit a low drive from 20 yards out which just whizzed by Mason’s post.


On 82 minutes Curzon should of made it four after Guest broke away and hit a shot from inside the box, it was well saved by Durrant and then substitutes Tyrell McKenzie and Matthew Crothers both had shots blocked from the rebounds.



Ferriby had accepted that the game had gone and on 86 minutes the game was surely over when Crothers made it 4 – 0, again some great work by Guest who protected the ball well before laying it off for Crothers to curl a great shot past Durrant.



With 3 added minutes Curzon saw the game out and deserved the result which will put them in good spirits for the visit to Stockport County next Tuesday 8th August.



Report by Dave Jones


Back to Fixtures