Chorley FC



First Team

Sat 12 Aug 2017 | National League North | Away


Vitoria Park Stadium




Scott Simpson



Saturday 12th August 2017

Chorley FC 1-1 Curzon Ashton FC


Curzon earned a point at Victory Park but with some better finishing it could have been all three, although in the end, the shared points were probably a fair result.


Looking to bounce back from their heavy midweek defeat at Stockport, Curzon began the game well although it was Chorley who had the best early chance, Cameron Mason making a fantastic save to deny Josh Mason who had powered a header down towards goal.


The Nash took the lead on 9 minutes, the ball being worked to Niall Cummins on the edge of the box before he fed Joe Guest who strode past a defender before slotting the ball across the keeper to open the scoring.


Curzon then began to take control and only a clearance from Stephen Jordan from virtually under his own crossbar kept the score at one.  From the resulting corner keeper Matt Urwin somehow kept out Jonno Hunt's header and then Guest put an effort wide with his weaker foot after Scott Bakkor had pulled the ball back.


Another chance went begging as some good football set up Chris Rowney but his effort from the edge of the box curled just wide.


Chorley had created little after their early chance but gave a warning they were still in the game with a free kick which was headed narrowly wide and the warning wasn't heeded by Curzon as the Magpies were level just two minutes later, on 28 minutes.


A disputed free kick was pumped into the box, the Curzon defence made a complete hash of clearing the danger and Scott Leather pounced to lash home the equaliser.


Seven minutes from the interval Curzon should have retaken the lead. Max Leonard was played through, he flicked the ball over the keeper, sent a defender the wrong way but was tackled as he was about to roll the ball into the empty net.  A missed opportunity perhaps, but some fantastic defending by the Chorley player.


The second half was the reverse of the first.  Chorley had the bulk of the possession but Curzon defended resolutely and despite plenty of efforts on goal, none hit the target and Mason had little to do in terms of shot stopping.


 At the other end, Urwin was also under employed. Curzon had several breakaways but couldn't capitalise.  Steve Howson put a header over and Paul Marshall and Matty Crothers both missed the target from outside the box.


In stoppage time Chorley were claiming handball but the referee waved away the penalty appeals and the points were shared.

Match Report by Ian Seymour


Back to Fixtures