First Team



FC United of Manchester

Sat 9 Sep 2017 | National League North | Home


Tamside Stadium




Martin Woods



At a very wet Tameside Stadium Curzon met their second local rivals in successive weeks, this time they welcomed FC United of Manchester.


And it was United who set the pace in the very early stages, Curzon pushed back to their own 18-yard line had to defend in numbers and at times struggled to clear their lines with any conviction. On 6 minutes United’s Joel Logan came close after he was found by Jordan Fagbola just outside the Curzon box on the right, Logan cut in onto his left foot and he curled in a shot which Steve Howson managed to deflect a header away for a corner.


From the corner, Fagbola was found unmarked but from 12 yards out he could only direct his header over the crossbar.


Curzon first chance of the game came in the 11th minute after Max Leonard was played through, with Matthew Hughes marking him closely, Leonard tried a trick to beat him but ended on the floor pleading with the referee Martin Woods for a penalty but Woods was having none of it.


On 21 minutes Curzon produced a good passing move which resulted in Niall Cummins forcing United’s keeper Lloyd Allinson into producing a great save, from the rebound Matthew Crothers slotted the ball home but to no avail as the assistant referee already had his flag up.


On 25 minutes, another chance for United but this time it fell from outside the box and it saw United Captain Scott Kay hit over the crossbar.


On the 30-minute mark the game had evened itself out with Curzon settling and starting to ask questions of United, Leonard again finds space inside the United box but just failed to wrap his foot around the ball and sees his effort hit the side netting.


The closest to a goal came on 34 minutes after Curzon were awarded a free kick from 25 yards out, James Baillie stepped up and hit a beautiful effort but sees it come off the crossbar


Curzon were awarded another free kick five minutes later and Leonard hitting it low saw it deflect for a corner.


GOAL: Leonard looking the main threat for Curzon finally got his goal and put Curzon ahead on 41 minutes, after getting to the box from the left, his first effort was blocked but deflected to the far post where Cummins was lurking Cummins headed back across the goal and on his second attempt Leonard side-footed home at the far post.


The second half seen the rain ease off and again it was United who started on the front foot forcing two corners with the first deflecting away for a corner and the second seeing Keeper Cameron Mason doing well going through a crowd of players to claim the cross.


Curzon came so close on 56 minutes when Baillie hit the woodwork for the second time in the game. Curzon were awarded a free kick inside the United’s box, two yards to the left of the 6-yard box, Leonard pulls the ball back to the edge of the box where Joe Guest dummies the ball to allow Baillie the time and space to hit his shot, a great strike but he sees it come off the far post and go across the front of goal, Curzon did regain possession but the second ball into the box was eventually cleared by United.


United made a triple change on the hour mark to try and change the game

United’s reply on 65 minutes sees Connor McCarthy turn and shoot from the right but he only finds the side netting. A minute later Logan finds sub James Hooper again hit the side netting from 15 yards. For Curzon Guest forced Allinson to get down and save well after Guest broke into the box and hit a low shot.


The second half which promised to be as exciting as the first didn’t with Curzon making all their subs both sides struggled to have a decent effort on goal, Baillie tried his third effort from a free kick awarded on the 78th minute but this time he never got near the woodwork, hitting the nearest defender.


Ref Wood added 5 minutes to the end of the game and Cummins missed a great chance to seal the game after Guest did the hard work by holding off his marker to pull the ball across the front of goal to the unmarked Cummins, but Cummins just passed the ball into Allinson’s arms.

It wasn’t the great advert for football from either side in the second half but Curzon held on for the important three points.

Match Report by Dave Jones




Back to Fixtures