Gainsborough Trinitiy



First Team

Sat 28 Oct 2017 | National League North | Away


The Martin & Co Arena




Rebedda Walch





Curzon contrived to lose this game which they dominated, paying the ultimate price for failing to take advantage of their dominance.


Both sides went into this game on a good run of form. Curzon had lost just twice in 10 games whilst Gainsborough had suffered just one defeat in their last eight. Curzon were also hoping that Trinity would be preoccupied with their FA Cup tie to be played the following week and it seemed that this might be the case as the Nash soon had the hosts defending.


Niall Cummins could have opened the scoring in the opening seconds but his volley went straight at the keeper and on 9 minutes some good work by Richie Barker saw Joe Guests effort cleared off the line.


Ben Wharton had a shot straight at the keeper and another defence splitting pass, a great ball by Chris Rowney to Guest saw the winger cross for Cummins but his header went well wide.


Gainsborough slowly got into the game, their best effort coming from Bradley Wells who put a chance over from close range.


Curzon began the second half again on top and Barker was desperately unlucky to see his curled effort strike the post, but playing with the stiff breeze behind their backs seemed to upset Curzon's rhythm and far too often forward passes were too strong and went harmlessly out of play.


Slowly Gainsborough began to put the Curzon defence under pressure and Cam Mason made a great save to turn away a shot and when the ball was played back in Stawfield headed over from close range.


A short corner routine by Curzon led to Baillie firing wide but the home side took the lead a minute later on 67 minutes from the penalty spot.


A break down the right saw Ashley Worsford bearing down on goal before he was adjudged to have been brought down by Mason. Worsford dusted himself down and stepped up to send Mason the wrong way with a confident spot kick.


It could have been worse for Curzon as Mason fumbled a free kick but a linesman's flag spared his blushes as the loose ball was put in the net, and he atoned for his error with a save from Jarman to keep Curzon in the game.


Curzon were seeing plenty of the ball in their effort to find an equaliser but they came up against a blue wall as the Gainsborough defence was determined to keep the Nash out.


The closest they came was a shot which curled just over from Tyrell McKenzie a few minutes from the end, and Mason kept the score to one by saving with his feet in stoppage time.


Curzon will play worse and win this season, but if they are to make a serious, sustained challenge for the play-offs they need to pick up points from this type of game by converting their chances when they are on top.


Match Report by Ian Seymour



Back to Fixtures