Match Report. AFC Fylde

18 Nov 2020 in Match Reports

Match Report. AFC Fylde Match Report. AFC Fylde

Goals from Matty Waters and Darren Stephenson were enough to secure Curzon Ashton all three points at the Tameside Stadium against ten-man AFC Fylde in thrilling style!

In an entertaining clash, full of chances; it was The Nash who came off the better side beneath the floodlights in Ashton-under-Lyne as they rose to seventh in the National League North.


It was end to end from the off as both sides looked to take a solid advantage in this tie. Nick Haughton for the visitor’s looked lively as he dragged his left-footed strike just wide of the far post after weaving through the Curzon defence.


Steve Cunningham’s side soon looked for a reaction and nearly did so successfully through Darren Stephenson who side-footed the defender, only to see his effort blocked well by the Fylde defender on eight minutes.


Ben Tollitt saw the next chance for The Coasters after some good play down the right-hand side. Luke Burke’s cross was met by Tollitt as he looked to have turned the defender and to seek the far corner; much to the relief of Curzon’s backline – it went wide.


The game went fairly quiet for a few moments before a few minutes of madness on 35 minutes. A thunderbolt of a strike from Waters found the top-right hand corner after a good lay-off from Dominic Knowles to make it officially advantage The Nash!


Just minutes later, Jim Bentley’s men found themselves a man down at the Tameside as Dave Perkins received his marching orders following a late challenge on Sam Walker.


AFC Fylde looked for that all-important equaliser with a few chances; with five minutes left on the clock – Curzon held their nerve going into half time.


Knowles looked to cause issues straight from the second whistle and struck the bar on 47 minutes. With no option to his right-hand side, Knowles looked up to attempt the chip with his effort striking the crossbar. So close for The Nash!


Curzon wanted more and managed to double their lead through Darren Stephenson who made it two goals in two games! After picking the ball up from 30-yards, ‘Daz’ managed to weave past several defenders before reaching the six-yard box. His powerful effort was enough to slide underneath Chris Neal as Curzon doubled their lead.


Stephenson wanted more and looked to punish ten-man Fylde further with some quick feet in the box. His strike is parried away well for a corner with plenty of action on show at the Tameside!


The game continued to be a tight encounter, regardless of the scoreline! Sam Walker saw a great chance drop to his feet after a good cross back from Waters on the left. Up the other end, Fylde look to break and strike the inside of the post through Kurt Willoughby who can’t convert the whipped cross. 15 minutes to go!


The ball was in the back of the net for the third time for Curzon as Max Harrop poked home from close-range. Unfortunately, the linesman had raised his flag on the nearside as Curzon Ashton settled for a solid 2-0 victory over AFC Fylde.


Older Newer