Match Report: Radcliffe

23 Sep 2018 in News

Match Report: Radcliffe Match Report: Radcliffe

It was FA Cup delight for the Nash as they came back from a goal behind to defeat Radcliffe 2-1 at the Neuven Stadium.


Curzon booked their place in Monday’s Third Round Qualifying draw after goals either side of half time from Joe Guest and Niall Cummins gave them a hard-fought win after falling behind early on.


John Flanagan’s side were back in FA Cup action, away at Radcliffe however the famous magic of the cup was not on Curzon’s side early on.


It took the hosts just two minutes to open the scoring as captain, Kingsley Williams smashed home from a corner. A nightmare start for the Nash.


Flanagan’s side looked to respond quickly however, and a superb 20-yard effort from Joe Guest on the half-volley nearly levelled things up, as he forced Ollie Martin into a brilliant save.


Despite this Martin could not deny Guest a second time as a minute later the Curzon winger found the equaliser. 


The ball fell to the Nash number seven on the edge of the box and he hammered a trademark left-footed strike into the bottom corner giving the Radcliffe shot-stopper no chance.


Flanagan’s men didn’t rest on their equaliser as moments later they were awarded a penalty.


Bizarrely, goalkeeper, Cameron Mason stepped up to take the kick but missed the chance to put his side ahead as his effort to the right of Martin was saved by the Radcliffe keeper.


The penalty went on to cause controversy at the break, as both sets of players clashed as they went down the tunnel for half time.


In the second period Flanagan’s side flew out the blocks in search of the lead, and they had it five minutes in.


An Alex Samizadeh through ball found Cummins, who slotted home his 12-yard effort to give Curzon the advantage going into the final 40 minutes of the game.


It was Cummins’ first goal of the season, and 75th in a Curzon shirt.


As the game entered the final stages it began to turn into a tasty cup tie, and the hosts could have, and maybe should have been reduced to 10 as former Nash man, Scott Metcalfe flew in with two feet on Connor Hughes, only to be let off by the referee with a yellow card.


As six minutes added time was signalled The Boro threw everything at Curzon in search of an equaliser, winning four corners in two minutes.


Fortunately for Flanagan and his side they withstood the late barrage, to secure the win and a place in the next round. 


Match Report: Josh Lees 


Older Newer