Match Report: Nuneaton

12 Jan 2019 in News

Match Report: Nuneaton Match Report: Nuneaton

Curzon continued their unbeaten start to 2019 after recording a superb 4-2 win away at struggling, Nuneaton Town.

Despite falling behind early on goals from Oliver Crankshaw, Lewis Reilly and Jonathan Hunt put the Nash in a commanding position, and even though the hosts did net a second late on Curzon kept their cool as Luke Wall converted from the spot to make sure all three points headed back to Tameside.

The afternoon wasn’t all plain sailing for Mark Bradshaw’s side as Nuneaton opened the scoring five minutes in. A ball into the middle fell to Yusifu Ceesay who kept his cool to slot under Cameron Mason, giving his side the lead.

In spite of the early setback Curzon got themselves back into it ten minutes later. Grappling in the box by the Nuneaton defence from a Crankshaw corner gave the referee no alternative but to point to the spot. The Nash winger stepped up and convincingly slotted his penalty into the bottom corner to net his first goal since being loaned back to the Nash, after signing a professional contract with Wigan Athletic.

After the equalizer Bradshaw’s side continued to dominate in search of the lead as both Wall and Reilly came close from distance, however the Nuneaton backline weathered the storm to make sure the teams went into the break all square.

The Nash continued their control of the game after the restart and this was rewarded on the hour mark.

Wall wriggled past two men on the edge of the box and hit a venomous effort which was well saved by Cameron Belford in the Boro goal, fortunately, Reilly was on hand to tap in the rebound for his first goal in a Curzon shirt.

Bradshaw’s men did not rest on their lead and despite the hosts coming close at the other end through Miles Addison, Curzon found their third shortly after.

A deep ball from the right into the box was met by the towering head of captain, Hunt and he made no mistake with his header, powering into the top corner for his first league goal of the season, giving the Nash a comfortable lead.

However, this comfort didn’t last very long as the hosts got themselves back in it with five minutes left. A low cross from the right found the unmarked Addison who tapped into the empty net to get his side back in the game.

This setback didn’t unnerve the Nash however as they regained their two-goal lead in injury time. Shrewsbury loanee, John McAtee went on a powering run into the box and drew a poor challenge from Mike Calveley to give Curzon their second penalty of the afternoon.

Wall stepped up and calmly finished the spot kick to seal the points for the Nash to make it three wins from three since the New Year for Bradshaw’s side.


Older Newer